Posted On: June 7, 2019

The month of June brings some "not so good news" to the state of Florida. June 1st marks the beginning of the 2019 hurricane season. Over the last few years, we've seen devastation from Hurricanes Irma and Micheal. With Micheal hitting in October of 2018 and Irma during the month of September in 2017. The good news is that this hurricane season is predicted to be less severe than average. Colorado State University (CSU), the pioneer of hurricane season predictions, is predicting 13 named storms, five to become hurricanes, and two to hit major status (111 mph winds or higher). These numbers are below average.<p? Hurricane researcher, Phil Klotzbach, who has his Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science from CSU had came up with the following numbers: 48% chance that a storm will hit the U.S. coastline (the average being 52%), 28% chance of Florida's peninsula being hit, and a 30% chance that the Gulf coast (between Texas and the Florida Panhandle) will be struck (these numbers are also below average). A few other sources predicted such stats:
  • Accuweather predicts 12 to 14 named storms, five to seven hurricanes, and two to four major storms.
  • IBM's Weather Company calls for 14 named storms, seven hurricanes, and three majors.
  • The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)  thinks that 9 to 15 named storms, four to eight will be hurricanes, and two to four will become major.
The Florida Realtors President, Eric Sain, who is the Realtor and Sales Manager with Illustrated Properties in Palm Beach had this to say about the topic, "With this year's hurricane season officially starting on June 1st, and many Florida residents still trying to recover from Hurricanes Michael and Irma, our state knows first-hand the kind of devastation that a hurricane leaves in its wake ... Florida Realtors Disaster Relief Fund was established to help the Realtor family and others in time of disasters not only in Florida but throughout the country. We understand and appreciate the tenacity it takes to rebuild people's lives and their communities." If you are a real estate employee, realtor board, or their staff, you can get assistance from The Florida Realtors Disaster Relief Fund in the case of hurricanes or any other natural disaster. Or, you can always donate to the fund at the Donations to the Disaster Relief Fund. Hurricane season is not a joke, whether you're buying, selling, assisting… no matter your involvement in the process. We here at SETCO want you to be prepared during this time of the year. Do not take any storm lightly; Hurricane Micheal went from category 2 to 5 in a matter of days. Always be stocked up on water and non-perishable items during this time of the year. Make sure you have candles, matches, gas, and batteries to get you through the worst of times before the hurricane hits. From us here at SETCO, stay safe this hurricane season.